Tuesday, January 28, 2014

No Day Like a Snow Day

Almost 2 inches of snow fell over Birmingham in just a few hours today, which was quite a surprise. 
Some of us were lucky enough to make it home safe & sound, but others had a bit of a struggle.
 
This winter storm roared through the south, causing multiple wrecks, canceled flights, closed schools & businesses, stranded drivers on the roads with no way home, & several reported deaths.




While I was bundled up on my couch, safe & warm, my heart was blessed by the generosity I saw being poured out by the people of Birmingham. My Twitter feed was FULL of Alabamians lending a hand to those around them.

 
These students at UAB were pushing cars uphill one at a time to help others make it home. 

Employees at The Fresh Market walked along 280 in the freezing cold passing out snacks and bottled water to those stuck in traffic, & several local churches and businesses opened their doors as warm shelters to those stranded on the road.

Even my friend Preston was able to make it home thanks to some very generous commuters.

 
As I look out my window at the perfect, untouched snow, I am reminded of the precious blood of Jesus that has made us pure by his loving sacrifice. It's so refreshing to know that we serve a God that would gladly give up the comfort of his warm home, put on his North Face jacket, touch screen gloves, & rain boots, & trudge through the snow for us.
 
 
Today, I am thankful for generous hearts all over Birmingham that put other's needs first & for our generous savior who has washed us white as snow.
 
So where did you see generosity today?
 
Stay warm & safe!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment