Friday, January 31, 2014

Oh, The Places GOD Will Take You!

Have you ever read "Oh, The Places You'll Go!" by Dr. Seuss? I came across the whimsical children's book a few days ago and found myself super motivated and encouraged to step out and do BIG things. And if you haven't read it recently, I recommend you read it now.



"For I know the plans I have for you," declares The Lord, "plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Did that story remind you of this verse? Jeremiah 29:11 was the first thing that came to my mind as I was reading the silly book. But this didn't accidentally happen. Dr. Seuss is known for writing more than what meets the eye. The famous cartoonist, just like Jesus, is challenging us to go further, dig deeper to find our purpose and to fulfill the plan that's already written for us.

But let's get real here. 

A lot of us can probably recite Jeremiah 29:11 with our eyes closed but how many of us believe it? I mean, actually believe that God has a crazy, radical, and out of this world plan for YOUR life? It may have just been me but all I saw ahead of me was: College, good career, get married, live happily ever after. Now what about that sounds radical? I belittled God's word. I took what he said and thought that it meant he'd give me a good husband and maybe stay financially stable all my life.

But I soon realized that that was literally nothing compared to his plans for my life. All I had to do was be bold enough to step into those plans, and once I did, I truly began to understand what God meant by having plans for me. 

I can honestly say that Mission:118 has been the biggest blessing of my life, and it was in God's plan all along. I didn't know it, but He was working in my heart, placing specific people in my life, and putting me in the most perfect places and situations all in His perfect timing. He was doing all this so that one day, three teenage best friends would share their dreams for their lives, and in turn, create one BIG dream to change the world using the unique gifts and talents God gave them.

But it hasn't been easy. No one said it would be. In fact, the Bible AND "Oh, The Places You'll Go!" warns us of that. They both make it very clear that we would not always be ahead of the game, that we would have to make very hard decisions, and that we would never be perfect; however, we cannot let that discourage us from living the life God intended us to.

"So...
be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea,
You're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So...get on your way!"


No comments:

Post a Comment